Research Fellow II/Senior Research Fellow I
at International Food Policy Research Institute in New Delhi, India / Washington, D.C.
TITLE: RESEARCH FELLOW II/SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW I
DIVISION: CGIAR RESEARCH PROGRAM ON AGRICULTURE FOR NUTRITION AND HEALTH (A4NH)
REPORTS TO: JOHN MCDERMOTT, A4NH DIRECTOR
LOCATION: NEW DELHI, INDIA / WASHINGTON, D.C.
US FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
CLOSING DATE: APRIL 3, 2017 OR UNTIL FILLED
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to fill the position of Research Fellow II /Senior Research Fellow I for a three-year, fixed-term, exempt, renewable appointment for its CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH). This position will report to the A4NH Director and lead research focused on strengthening and documenting the impact of A4NH on development outcomes. The Fellow will lead research on how evidence is generated and used by research managers and other key stakeholders such as donors, policymakers, and development partners, including in the private sector. Within A4NH, there will be a strong role in supporting research teams to develop, use, and update impact pathways and theories of change (evaluation leadership is 50% of effort). The Fellow will also play an important regional research coordination role (25% of effort) in South Asia, identifying needs and opportunities and developing and maintaining relationships with key partners and stakeholders at country and regional level. The fellow will also be expected to develop a research portfolio (25% of effort). This position will be based either at IFPRI’s regional office in New Delhi, India, or at IFPRI headquarters in Washington, D.C. and will require international travel (at least 2 weeks per quarter). Final grade level will be determined by demonstrated expertise and experience.
The CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Improved Nutrition and Health (A4NH) works to accelerate progress in improving the nutrition and health of poor people by re-shaping agriculture and food systems through new, creative policies and investments that take an interdisciplinary perspective. Led by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), A4NH brings together 12 CGIAR centers and multiple partners from agriculture, nutrition, and health communities from around the world.
- Lead the development and implementation of an evaluation and impact strategy for Phase 2 of A4NH
- Commission and lead external evaluations of A4NH and its components, working closely with the CGIAR Independent Evaluation Arrangement
- Implement or support internal evaluations of A4NH research using a range of quantitative and qualitative methods and approaches, as appropriate
- Collaborate with evaluation and impact researchers in the Policies, Institutions and Markets program led by IFPRI and other CGIAR Research Programs (CRPs) as appropriate
- Work with A4NH program manager to ensure integration of monitoring information into evaluation and learning processes
- Represent A4NH (all thematic areas, as required) in international, regional and national meetings and interactions
- Develop new partnerships with strategic partners, as and when appropriate
- Engage at international level with SUN processes relating to nutrition-sensitive development, especially as they apply to South and southeast Asia.
- Contribute to resource mobilization for A4NH
- Conduct evaluation research within the A4NH portfolio that would result in peer-review publications as well as communicating research to the broader agriculture, nutrition and health communities in various forms
- Contribute to preparation of internal and external program reviews
- PhD in agricultural economics, economics or quantitative social science and knowledge of nutrition and health or PhD in public health, epidemiology, nutrition with experience in evaluation and impact assessment
- At the Research Fellow level, 5+ years of post-PhD experience relevant to the job and at the Senior Research Fellow level, 7+ years of post-PhD experience relevant to the job
- Experience in conducting evaluations related to agriculture, nutrition and health programs, projects or investments.
- Experience in cross-sectoral policy engagement on agriculture, nutrition and health in South Asia
- Demonstrated ability to critically assess own and others’ research
- Excellent publication record in peer-review journals
- Demonstrated experience in effective interactions in a multicultural and international development setting with other researchers and with policymakers, donors, and civil society, facilitating impact of research and capacity strengthening
- Major external recognition within peer professional network due to publications and other leaderships activities
- Willingness to travel extensively as required
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations
- Demonstrated leadership skills and strong experience building and managing teams
- Experience in leading and managing research and partnerships in developing countries
IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
Internal candidates: Send an email with your resume and cover letter to Monica Dourado/Carla Tufano.
External Candidates: Go to www.ifpri.org . Click on “Jobs” and “Research Positions” to link you to Position # 17-113 – Research Fellow II/ Senior Research Fellow II, A4NH. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also, complete section providing 3 references.
For more information on IFPRI, please visit our website at www.ifpri.org